Alternative accommodation

Undergraduate students

All first year undergraduate students are offered college accommodation either on the main site of their college or in a nearby college annexe.

All colleges offer at least one further year of accommodation and some offer this for the entire duration of your degree. You may choose to take up the option to live in your college for the whole of your time at Oxford, or you might decide to arrange your own accommodation after your first year - perhaps because you want to live with a spouse, or with friends from other colleges.

If you choose to ‘live out’, Oxford has a large selection of privately-rented houses and flats available. Living out does tend to be more expensive as houses are normally rented for the whole year rather than just for term time. However, this does mean that you would have somewhere to stay if you wanted to study out of term or take a holiday job in Oxford. Students who live out still have use of all their college’s facilities including meals and washing machines. The Oxford University Students Union (Oxford SU) provides guidance on living out and can help you if you have questions or concerns about accommodation.

Staff, short term and visitors accommodation

Guidance about the different accommodation options in Oxford and the processes associated with renting or buying a property in the UK is available on the Welcome Service website